Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Flat heads


I remember after my son was born, every grandmother would tell me to make sure I put him on his belly because he'll develop a flat head. With SIDS, there was no way I was going to let him sleep on his belly. Of course a couple months later, my son developed a very flat back head. I was concerned but my doctor assured me it was fine. But whenever I would see a Korean grandmother, they would all point it out! So I did everything possible to try to reverse it but it was too late. I thought about getting him one of those helmets but it was just too expensive.

A friend of mine told me she let both of her 2 kids sleep on their backs and their heads are fine. She thinks it's hereditary. My dad's head is flat as is my husband's. Is it hereditary?

If your baby suffers from flat head syndrome, try the flat head pillow at Little Seouls. I never knew they had such a thing...hmmm...since it's from Korea, is it a Korean thing??

By the way, my son is 5 now and his back head is still flat but his hair covers it so it's not too noticeable.

-written by E.M.