Friday, October 3, 2008

Jook the ultimate comfort food


I remember my mom making jook, rice porridge, whenever I was sick. It was the chicken soup remedy for Koreans. Once I became a mom, I realized that it was given to babies as their first solid food. There are many online recipes available but I make mine the simple and easy way.

I get cooked rice and put it in a pan of half water and half chicken broth. Liquid should be about 3 to 4 inches above the rice. If I have chicken or meat, I cut it up small and add it to the mix. I then add carrots and peas (if I am in a hurry, I'll use frozen). Simmer for 1 hour or longer depending on how sticky and soft you want it. Most likely you will need to add more water and chicken broth as you cook, especially if you want more liquid in your jook. Add salt and soy sauce if you want more flavoring.

Or if you prefer to buy it pre-made, you can now find it in most Korean markets. I never knew they sold canned jook until recently. It takes quite flavorful.

According to my Chinese friends, jook is also given to Chinese babies as well.