Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Benefits of Boricha


It was not until I brought my daughter home from Korea did I realize how much Koreans consume roasted barley tea, otherwise known as "boricha." My daughter, who was adopted from Korea, came home with a bottle full of boricha. It made me wonder if there was some nutritional value to this popular drink and sure enough there is!

Barley tea is apparently packed with antioxidants. It is also known to aid in digestion and the cleansing out of your systems. You can easily find barley tea at a Korean or Japanese market. They even sell a mild version just for babies. This tea has no caffeine.

Growing up, I always enjoyed the refreshing taste of a cold cup of boricha on a hot summer day! Koreans like to drink it either hot or cold. They drink it regularly in substitute of water.